Sunday 9 January 2011

where i am at with physio

so yeah i guess i should tell you all where I'm at.

just before Christmas i managed to get angles on the bed up to nearly sitting.. not for long, not comfortably and i had to be propped up with neck brace but i decided i was ready for the next step...SITTING! for someone who's not even sat even with help for 2 months and pretty much not at all for 3 months this was quite a big thing, the physios didn't turn up the first day i felt i was ready but the next day i asked the nurse to call in the physio and they arranged to have all 3 of them.. i needed the neck brace and had to be held up by my ribs shoulders and head as well as lean on the physio as i am very crumply still but i did it.. i was so pleased, what a lovely early Xmas present :)

My sitting still wasn't perfect by any stretch of the imagination(it was and still is only happening as an exercise) but i was asked if i wanted to try being hoisted into one of there special reclinery wheelchairs.. and we did it! it wasn't easy at all.. i was very floppy and couldn't speak because my throat muscles were fatigued and spasming but i got to see outside of my room! Unfortunately the transfer back to my bed was problematic and i was really quite unwell after.. i said i would like to try again another time but for a much shorter amount of time (few minutes) and so we did, it went much more smoothly altho i still had to be physically held into the chair/wedged and i slept for hours afterwards barely able to move or speak but better.. last time i did it again there were issues with transfers etc again and it was unfortunately almost worse then the first time..

it shows i guess great progress can happen but the course is never smooth, in the next physio we are not going to do the wheelchair but try sitting with a few physios on the bed again, and try and get stronger that way first perhaps.

I'm still very very weak. my energy levels are still low and my neck is very floppy but this is improving altho i still need my head lifted to change pillows or put tops on and stuff.. but lieing down i seem a lot better then even a month ago but any form of major movement or exercise or sit up and my body is a floppy rag doll thing and my brain is mush again. on the positive side however i used to hardly be able to move my legs at all and my arms were much floppier and my brain was in a uber daze almost constantly so in the subtle ways that i can feel but perhaps are less visible to regular onlookers.. I'm getting there :)

No comments:

Post a Comment